Thursday, September 26, 2013

Magazines!

I've never spent much time reading magazines because they never interested me. However, after the lecture on magazines I've come to realize how truly important magazines are to the history of journalism. Magazines were great innovators and started many important things in journalism. These things include investigative reporting, photojournalism, and personality profiles. In addition, magazines were the first mass media. If asked beforehand I would have assumed it was newspapers, so to find this out was rather shocking. I had no idea that newspapers operated on such a local  level beforehand. After I had learned so many fun facts about magazines it was a bit of a letdown to learn about how it demassified. Magazines demassified advertisers moved their ads to TV in an attempt to save money. Before, most magazines had made money almost entirely off of advertisements. This caused the magazines to almost go out of business due to a lack of profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment